Friday, January 27, 2012

Work-Life Balance

This summer, I have been taking a semester at Griffith; just to stay on top of my classes, and avoid having to spend much longer studying before graduating. The subject I am taking this semester is called Business Communications, it is a very straight forward subject basically about how to communicate effectively, the importance of self empowerment etc.

It has led me to think about work-life balance. I have a lot of thing on my 'to-do' list this year, however, in order to get them done I need to take some time out. When I worked in retail, I worked 5 days a week ( weekends included) and went to uni 3-4 days a week. This literally lead to not one single day off in a week, and then if you remember when I mentioned in my first post on here, I worked for 3 months straight between my new and old jobs. I have always found excuses to work and work... but for no real reason.
I honestly think that I work so much so that I have an excuse if I don't achieve my goals, or to avoid making commitments.
What a terrible concept.

So this year I am making more of an effort to have a better work-life balance, I still enjoy working a lot, and I definitely want to continue working, however, I have stopped text messaging or answering my phone after a certain point of the night ( I make exceptions if it's urgent, ie. someone calling two or three times in a row). I force myself to take some time away from my phone and all social media, in order to just reflect on my week and often just to zone out and actually stop thinking for once. It's something I have trouble doing, so I have to make a conscious effort.

I am considering speaking to my boss and asking for one day a week where I can work from home, in order to use my faster internet connection to achieve work goals, but also for the health of my mind. I strongly believe that 'flexi-hours' are businesses best untapped resource. I am aware that it isn't possible for all trades, but for most, if you trust in your employee, and give these flexi-hours, they will actually end up working more (and harder). Flexi hours can even be allowing staff to start 1 hour earlier or later, and then finishing at the time corresponding ie. 7-4, 8-5, 9-6.. or allowing a 40 hour week to be completed in hours that the employee choose.
I don't think managers and bosses are creative enough anymore. It's time to revolutionise the work week.


But for now, I will do my best to take some time for me, make an effort to visit friends and continue to work hard in my regular 8-5 hours of work.

How would you change your work week?

Everybody has to know for themselves what they're capable of..

No comments:

Post a Comment