Monday, February 6, 2012

Sabbaticals- Self imposed or otherwise

Perhaps this title is a little over dramatic, but two days is a lot of time to me ( Yes, I'm aware people would be rolling their eyes already).

Let me take a few steps back, as I have already mentioned too many times- I work a lot. So this week, as I am getting ready to sit my final exam for my summer semester subject - my boss had told me to take Monday- Wednesday off from work ( My exam is Wednesday). Three days?! I laughed, never in my life would I be committed enough to studying for three days. I would much rather work than procrastinate at home. Hell, I would much rather work than do most things, firstly- because I really enjoy my job, and secondly- earning money, being unable to spend money while I'm at work etc. Anyway, I said no no, I will just take Tuesday off and come in Wednesday after my exam- thus was my plan..until today. My boss said no no, take Wednesday off as a break as well, relax, and come back to work Thursday. WHAT? WHY? He is punishing me obviously. So there is no need to yell, but seriously- two days off, what are you doing to me man? ( In my head that sounds Jamaican.) I should use these two days to catch up on the things I am always saying I cannot do; bake cupcakes, see a film, have a facial, marathon sex and the city... the usual.. instead I will probably start all of those things and finish none of them..picture me sitting on my couch in a towel, eating cupcake batter.. this is not my prettiest self.

So I've taken my work home with me, I have emails to attend to, a few calls to make, an invitation to design and some webinars to watch. Some of these things are made easier by using my faster internet connection, and some are things I just really want to work on.
Do you find it hard to leave your work behind?
We are always complaining about our lack of personal time- but when we are given it, do we use it to its full potential?

I definitely believe three day weekends are a better and more productive way to live - a day off in the week to go to the bank and post office etc, I also think it leaves people with one day to just simply exist, no rushing around trying to do everything all in one hit, just simply existing and nothing more. The problem is, tomorrow, I can simply exist but I won't. I feel guilty doing that, guilty for not cleaning my apartment, guilty for not producing work for my boss and company, and guilty for relaxing.

How do you spend your days off?
Do you relax?

No comments:

Post a Comment